The Drivers Union is seeking a full-time Paralegal who can provide a full range of support to the organization and the workers that Drivers Union serves.
The Drivers Union is a worker organization representing gig workers in Washington State, primarily Uber and Lyft drivers. For years gig workers have had their rights and their input into their working lives restricted. The Drivers Union is one of the first organizations in the nation to provide a legislative and legal framework for drivers to have a true and legitimate voice in their work lives. Drivers have fought long and hard to establish these rights and are looking for staff who are committed to fight for social and economic justice for their communities.
This position will require:
- Perform responsible legal support to Staff Attorneys including case management, assistance with investigations, and preparation for panel or arbitration proceedings.
- Summarizing cases and preparing reports for attorneys.
- Drafting legal documents such as letters, pleadings, and filings.
Filings documents with administrative bodies or courts as applicable.
- Organizing and archiving documents related to completed and ongoing cases.
- Drafting and responding to discovery requests.
- Strong calendaring, planning, time management, and organizational skills.
Handle large volume case load and intake process.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills; analytical thinking and a keen eye for detail.
Familiarity with workplace applications (i.e. MS Office suite, video conferencing) and database software.
Ability to remain calm and professional on the phone and in person when dealing with difficult and stressful situations
Maintaining records and databases, with dedication to achieving a high level of error-free productivity.
Provide front desk coverage as necessary.
Working well within a team, and willingness to work long and irregular hours
Along with all employees, help maintain a positive, respectful, welcoming, professional and culturally competent work environment.
- Other duties, responsibilities, and activities that may change at any time.
- At least (5) years relevant education and/or litigation support experience.
- Considerable knowledge of legal terminology, procedures, documents and principles related to legal support work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive material.
- Experience managing multiple deadlines and monitoring and reviewing status of cases.
- Experience preparing, formatting, editing and finalizing legal documents and communications.
- Strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills.
Particular consideration will be given to candidates with for-hire driving experience, fluency in language(s) other than English, and community leadership in the region’s diverse immigrant and refugee communities. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The Drivers Union encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
Drivers Union offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including full family medical, dental and vision, paid time off, retirement, etc.
To apply, please submit: cover letter and resume covering your work history; writing sample; and a minimum of three professional references to [email protected].
Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $65,000-$68,000
- Inclusive of Phone Allowance
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
Paid time off
- 401K plan
- Monday to Friday
8 AM – 5 PM
- In Office
Work Location: In person